8 surprising facts about your ride to work
Published 9 February 2015
There’s never been a better time to start commuting to work by bike. It saves you money, helps you stay healthy and is fun! If you’re thinking about trying it for the first time, here are a few facts about riing to work in the UK that may just surprise you...
Think there’s no point?
1. On your bike you can be twice as fast as a car in traffic
2. A middle-aged cyclist is typically as fit as someone ten years younger
3. 10 bikes can be parked in the space of one car
4. Cyclists each contribute £230 annually to the UK economy.
Think it’s too far?
5. 75% of the UK has a journey to work that takes less than 30 minutes by bike
6. The average commute is just four miles
7. Typical travel time for a cycle commute is 22 minutes.
Think you’ll get wet?
8. The UK’s cycle commuters actually have a 97% chance of staying dry!
British Cycling offers brilliant benefits for cycle commuters, including 10% off everything at Halfords, and great discounts on bike insurance.
Click here to find out more.
Also worth a read:
Don't just take our word for it. Read why real life commuters bike to work.