The Essex Way
Saturday 13th October at 10.00am This is what time the ride will set off. It’s best to get to the starting point at least 15 minutes beforehand to avoid missing the start.
|Cycling time||Ride distance||Suitable for||Distance from me||Ride level|
|80 Mins||8 Miles||8+ (children 8-15 with adult) Not all rides are suitable for everyone. This will tell you if the ride is suitable for you and/or your friends and family.||? Miles||
- Starting Point & Postcode
- Rainham C2C Train Station (by platform 1 - London bound) Ferry Lane RM13 9HY
- Overall Duration On a long ride, it’s sometimes good to have a little break in the middle, or maybe a catch up at the beginning or end to keep it sociable. This means that the overall ride duration may be longer than the actual cycling time.
- 2 hours 0 mins (1 hours 20 mins cycling)
- Bike Type You probably don’t want to drag your road bike across bumpy trails. Maybe you want to make the most of the suspension on your mountain bike. This helps you match your ride to your bike.
Sky Ride Local in London
If you’re fairly confident on your bike on dirt and gravel surfaces and ready to broaden your cycling horizons, our Off-Road Steady rides are ideal. At a comfortable pace, and possibly with some modest hills along the way, there is barely a metre of tarmac in sight on these rides so come and enjoy the scrunch of gravel and the squelch of mud under your tyres with us! Rides are between 6 and 15 miles long, at a moderate pace of between 7 and 10 miles an hour.
This is an off-road ride where you can spot a variety of interesting, sometimes rare, birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians as well as bugs and beasties of all kinds. RSPB Rainham Marshes is just a stone's throw from London, easily accessible by public transport, on foot and by bike. Located on ancient marshland nestled beside the river Thames, it really is a special place to enjoy the great outdoors.
The reserve itself offers a leisurely amble in a superb setting with fantastic facilities in the eco-friendly visitor centre with cafe and shop.
A brand new cycle route links the villages of Purfleet and Rainham. This runs beside the reserve, following the Thames, looping round and passing the WW2 concrete barges and the "diver".
Helmets must be worn by all under 18's regardless of ride level.
The minimum age for these rides is 8, there must be no child trailers or child seats, the child capable of riding within the demands of the off-road specification.
Please bring equipment with you to repair punctures, Ride Leaders are there to help but are not responsible for your bike.
All rides leave at the time stated you must arrive early Ride Leaders will not wait.
- Car Parking
- Yes, at start point, Rainham Train Station, charges may apply
- Nearest Train Station
- at start point, Rainham Station
- Toilet Facilities Available?
- Yes, at At Mid Point
Meet the Ride Leaders
- Philip Woolford
- Ray Whitehouse
- Nick Gorman
Rider Comments on the Route
Very nice ride, very flat bar a couple of very short up-hills and a nice downhill on way back. great view of the RSPB Marshes. Nice steady ride.
Similar events you might like
|Event Name||Date/Time||Ride Level|
|Spring Series 2014 - Round the park & through the marshes with a Wood Green Wiggle||Sunday 9th March at 9.00am||Challenging||Read More|
|Spring Series 2014 - East London Marathon Ride||Sunday 9th March at 9.00am||Challenging||Read More|
|Spring Series 2014 - Richmond Park Ride||Sunday 23rd March at 9.00am||Challenging||Read More|