The Big Tour
Sunday 21st April at 10.00am This is what time the ride will set off. It’s best to get to the starting point at least 15 minutes beforehand to avoid missing the start.
|Cycling time||Ride distance||Suitable for||Distance from me||Ride level|
|120 Mins||28 Miles||11+ (children 11-15 with adult) Not all rides are suitable for everyone. This will tell you if the ride is suitable for you and/or your friends and family.||? Miles||
Challenging You don’t have to be the next Bradley Wiggins, but you’ll need to be fairly fit to take part in Challenging ride. As well as covering a good distance, there may well be a few hills along the way! If you fancy a fresh challenge, these rides are perfect for you.
0 Free places remaining
- Starting Point & Postcode
- Smithy Lodge Entrance on Middleton Road By Golf Club entrance M9 0TZ
- Overall Duration On a long ride, it’s sometimes good to have a little break in the middle, or maybe a catch up at the beginning or end to keep it sociable. This means that the overall ride duration may be longer than the actual cycling time.
- 2 hours 20 mins (2 hours 0 mins cycling)
- Bike Type You probably don’t want to drag your road bike across bumpy trails. Maybe you want to make the most of the suspension on your mountain bike. This helps you match your ride to your bike.
Sky Ride Local in Manchester
You don’t have to be the next Bradley Wiggins, but you’ll need to know your way around a bike and be fairly fit to take part in our Challenging rides. If you’re comfortable riding with other people and fancy a fresh challenge, these rides are perfect for you. They start at around twenty miles long, and are paced at between 11 and 12 miles an hour.
This is our BIG TOUR of some of the parks situated to the north of Greater Manchester. The ride leaves Heaton Park and climbs steadily towards Tandlehill Park in Oldham. From there we climb steeply over the Pennines and drop into Saddleworth to arrive at the very welcome midway rest point. The ride then climbs steeply back over the Pennines and drops down into Oldham and Alexander Park. On our home stretch we enjoy one more steady climb through Oldham for good measure before gradually dropping down back to Heaton Park. You will be rewarded with some great scenery as we pass over the big hills on this circular route which is only suitable for road bikes. Bring your cycling legs...and enjoy the views!
Helmets must be worn by all under 18's regardless of ride level.
Please make sure your bike is in good working order and bring equipment with you to repair punctures, Ride Leaders are there to help but are not responsible for your bike.
All rides leave at the time stated you must arrive early Ride Leaders will not wait.
- Car Parking
- Yes, at Heaton Park Smithy Lodge, charges apply
- Nearest Train Station
- Manchester Victoria, 4 miles
- Toilet Facilities Available?
- Yes, at start in Golf Centre, at Tandle Hill Park, at Brownhill Centre and at Alexander Park
Meet the Ride Leaders
- Jason Mayor
- Steve Williams
- Cliff Seggie
Rider Comments on the Route
the best big tour ride i have ever done i think, steady speed, good group, nice garden centre quick lunch break and then back on the hills! thanks for the leaders ! recommend if u want to give your heart and legs a good work out!
Excellent ride thanks to the Leaders once again.
This is definitely not for anyone who's not comfortable with climbs or fast descents but if you are then it's a terrific ride. The leaders are very good and the route is brilliant.