Cannock Chase Caper
Sunday 10th March at 10.00am This is what time the ride will set off. It’s best to get to the starting point at least 15 minutes beforehand to avoid missing the start.
|Cycling time||Ride distance||Suitable for||Distance from me||Ride level|
|75 Mins||8 Miles||8+ (children 8-15 with adult) Not all rides are suitable for everyone. This will tell you if the ride is suitable for you and/or your friends and family.||? Miles||
- Starting Point & Postcode
- Birches Valley Forest Centre Birches Valley WS15 2UQ
- Overall Duration On a long ride, it’s sometimes good to have a little break in the middle, or maybe a catch up at the beginning or end to keep it sociable. This means that the overall ride duration may be longer than the actual cycling time.
- 1 hours 55 mins (1 hours 15 mins cycling)
- Bike Type You probably don’t want to drag your road bike across bumpy trails. Maybe you want to make the most of the suspension on your mountain bike. This helps you match your ride to your bike.
- Hybrid (off road tyres)
Sky Ride Local in Birmingham
If you’re fairly confident on your bike on dirt and gravel surfaces and ready to broaden your cycling horizons, our Off-Road Steady rides are ideal. At a comfortable pace, and possibly with some modest hills along the way, there is barely a metre of tarmac in sight on these rides so come and enjoy the scrunch of gravel and the squelch of mud under your tyres with us! Rides are between 6 and 15 miles long, at a moderate pace of between 7 and 10 miles an hour.
This is a beautiful route through the wonderful and picturesque Cannock Chase. During our 7 mile journey we follow the Fairoak Trail away from Birches Valley and the Go Ape tree-top course (riding underneath all the climbing nets and zip wires is an amazing experience!) The route then follows the Sherbrook Trail, heading towards Pepper Slade and through a campsite called Tackeroo, which was home to an extensive Army Training Camp housing troops during the First World War. There are plenty of picnic tables if we need to stop, and there's a great café at the Cannock Chase Visitor Centre and at Birches Valley to help you stock up on those cakes to keep you going. This is a truly lovely place to see and there are loads more cycle routes available for your next cycling trip!
Helmets must be worn by all under 18's regardless of ride level.
The minimum age for these rides is 8, there must be no child trailers or child seats, the child capable of riding within the demands of the off-road specification.
Please bring equipment with you to repair punctures, Ride Leaders are there to help but are not responsible for your bike.
All rides leave at the time stated you must arrive early Ride Leaders will not wait.
- Car Parking
- Yes, at start point, Birches Valley Forest Centre, charges may apply. Extra parking at Cannock Chase Visitor Centre.
- Nearest Train Station
- Hednesford Station, 1.3 miles
- Toilet Facilities Available?
- Yes, at Birches Valley Forest Centre
Meet the Ride Leaders
- Simon Holme
- Barry Cooke
Rider Comments on the Route
Similar events you might like
|Event Name||Date/Time||Ride Level|
|Spring Series 2014 - The Great Barr Express||Sunday 23rd March at 10.00am||Challenging||Read More|
|Spring Series 2014 - Cannon Hill Extreme||Sunday 30th March at 10.00am||Challenging||Read More|
|The delights of Aylestone||Sunday 9th March at 10.00am||Steady||Read More|