Chasing the Stepping Stones
Sunday 10th February at 10.00am This is what time the ride will set off. It’s best to get to the starting point at least 15 minutes beforehand to avoid missing the start.
|Cycling time||Ride distance||Suitable for||Distance from me||Ride level|
|105 Mins||12 Miles||11+ (children 11-15 with adult) Not all rides are suitable for everyone. This will tell you if the ride is suitable for you and/or your friends and family.||? Miles||
0 Free places remaining
- Starting Point & Postcode
- Birches Valley Forest Centre (grassed picnic area next to the Birches Valley Cafe) Birches Valley WS15 2UQ
- Overall Duration On a long ride, it’s sometimes good to have a little break in the middle, or maybe a catch up at the beginning or end to keep it sociable. This means that the overall ride duration may be longer than the actual cycling time.
- 2 hours 25 mins (1 hours 45 mins cycling)
- Bike Type You probably don’t want to drag your road bike across bumpy trails. Maybe you want to make the most of the suspension on your mountain bike. This helps you match your ride to your bike.
- Mountain Bike, Hybrid (off road tyres)
Sky Ride Local in Birmingham
If you’re fairly confident on your bike on dirt and gravel surfaces and ready to broaden your cycling horizons, our Off-Road Steady rides are ideal. At a comfortable pace, and possibly with some modest hills along the way, there is barely a metre of tarmac in sight on these rides so come and enjoy the scrunch of gravel and the squelch of mud under your tyres with us! Rides are between 6 and 15 miles long, at a moderate pace of between 7 and 10 miles an hour.
Cannock Chase is an area of outstanding natural beauty and what better way to see it than on 2 wheels. This route follows the picturesque Sherbrook Valley with its open heathland and forests. There is plenty to see along the way with wildlife and deer roaming freely. The route follows a fantastic little stream and we visit the famous stepping stones of Cannock Chase giving the bike a nice little wash as you ride through. Heading back, the views from the top of Abraham's Valley are wonderful across Cannock’s natural forests. Continuing back we pass through Tackeroo Campsite and beside the amazing Fairoak Pools, teeming with wildlife and a terrific spot for fishing. There are plenty of picnic tables if we need to stop and there's a great café at the Cannock Chase Visitor Centre and at Birches Valley to help you stock up on those cakes to keep you going. This is a truly lovely place to see and there are loads more cycle routes available for your next cycling trip!
Helmets must be worn by all under 18's regardless of ride level.
The minimum age for these rides is 11, there must be no child trailers or child seats, the child capable of riding within the demands of the off-road specification.
Please bring equipment with you to repair punctures.
Ride Leaders are there to help but are not responsible for your bike.
All rides leave at the time stated you must arrive early Ride Leaders will not wait.
- Car Parking
- Yes, at start point, Birches Valley Forest Centre, charges may apply. Extra parking at Cannock Chase Visitor Centre.
- Nearest Train Station
- Hednesford Station, 1.1 miles
- Toilet Facilities Available?
- Yes, at Birches Valley Forest Centre
Meet the Ride Leaders
- Simon Holme
- Barry Cooke