Saturday 19th January at 10.00am This is what time the ride will set off. It’s best to get to the starting point at least 15 minutes beforehand to avoid missing the start.
|Cycling time||Ride distance||Suitable for||Distance from me||Ride level|
|85 Mins||10 Miles||11+ (children 11-15 with adult) Not all rides are suitable for everyone. This will tell you if the ride is suitable for you and/or your friends and family.||? Miles||
- Starting Point & Postcode
- Car park on Rivington Lane Located on the left just past Rivington & Blackrod High School BL6 7RU
- Overall Duration On a long ride, it’s sometimes good to have a little break in the middle, or maybe a catch up at the beginning or end to keep it sociable. This means that the overall ride duration may be longer than the actual cycling time.
- 2 hours 5 mins (1 hours 25 mins cycling)
- Bike Type You probably don’t want to drag your road bike across bumpy trails. Maybe you want to make the most of the suspension on your mountain bike. This helps you match your ride to your bike.
- No road bikes
Sky Ride Local in Manchester
If you’re fairly confident on your bike on dirt and gravel surfaces and ready to broaden your cycling horizons, our Off-Road Steady rides are ideal. At a comfortable pace, and possibly with some modest hills along the way, there is barely a metre of tarmac in sight on these rides so come and enjoy the scrunch of gravel and the squelch of mud under your tyres with us! Rides are between 6 and 15 miles long, at a moderate pace of between 7 and 10 miles an hour.
Rivington really is the jewel in the crown of the majestic West Pennine Moors. The village and its beautiful countryside sit on the lower flanks of Winter Hill. Unbelievably, the top of Winter Hill was once at sea level covered in lush tropical forest. At the turn of the century William Hesketh Lever, of Lever Brothers washing powder fame, spent some of his fortune on buying the whole manor and created the 'false' ruin of Liverpool Castle and of course the Terraced Gardens. Your journey is a double loop along the leafy tree lined trails, making the most of the spectacular scenery and iconic landmarks.
Helmets must be worn by all under 18's regardless of ride level.
The minimum age for these rides is 11, there must be no child trailers or child seats, the child capable of riding within the demands of the off-road specification.
Please bring equipment with you to repair punctures.
Ride Leaders are there to help but are not responsible for your bike.
All rides leave at the time stated you must arrive early Ride Leaders will not wait.
- Car Parking
- Yes, at Car park on Rivington Lane, located on the left just past Rivington & Blackrod High School
- Nearest Train Station
- Horwich Parkway Railway Station, 3.4 miles
- Toilet Facilities Available?
- Yes, at Public toilets to the rear of Great House Barn (aka Bottom Barn or Lower Barn), Rivington Ln, Rivington, Bolton
Meet the Ride Leaders
- Jim Taylor
- Simon Reeve
- Ian Parkinson
Rider Comments on the Route
Came as a family group - and although a bit bumpy on the cobbles in places - it was a really enjoyable ride with friendly and helpful leaders.
Normally a great ride on a quiet Sunday, so much going on at Rivington this weekend made progress a little slow. Normal high standards from the ride leaders though :)
Similar events you might like
|Event Name||Date/Time||Ride Level|
|Spring Series 2014 - The Big Tour||Sunday 16th March at 10.00am||Challenging||Read More|
|Spring Series 2014 - Follow the Old Brick Road||Sunday 16th March at 10.00am||Challenging||Read More|
|Spring Series 2014 - Trans Pennine Trail: A Route to Lymm||Sunday 23rd March at 10.00am||Challenging||Read More|