The Search For The Perfect Hill
Published 24 May 2011
Today Sky and British Cycling launch the search to find the nation’s Perfect Hill. We're inviting you to help decide what makes the most Perfect Hill to cycle down - and there's a chance to win a bike for you and your family.
Backed by Olympic Gold medallist Sir Chris Hoy, the nationwide search will result in the ultimate descent being crowned the UK’s Perfect Hill by bike. Designed to remind everyone just how much fun cycling can be, the search invites you to nominate your chosen hill to cycle down, taking into consideration location, view, where the hill takes them, historical resonance - and most importantly, what the hill means to you.
A public vote and a panel of three judges including Sir Chris himself and Editor of the Lonely Planet Cycling Guide, Etain O’Carroll, will help shortlist the entries, before crowning one hill the UK’s most perfect for cycling down.
The ten best runners-up as chosen by the judges will win a brand new bike, and the overall winner will receive a bike for themselves and their immediate family (up to a maximum of four bikes).
So just what makes a Perfect Hill?
Is it the view from the top? The location or the memories you have whilst there? The Perfect Hill is everything that makes cycling fun, the best bit of a bike ride – the thrill of the descent.
The Perfect Hill doesn’t have to be a bone-shaking descent; it might just be a gentle slope that means you can stop peddling for a moment and take in the views.
Terms & Conditions – Sky Ride – Search for UK’s Perfect Hill by Bike
1. This promotion is open to UK, Isle of Man, Channel Island and Republic of Ireland residents, aged 18 years or over. Proof of age may be required. Employees (or family members of employees) of any British Sky Broadcasting Group company (“Sky”), companies associated with the Promotion and all affiliates of such companies may not enter the Promotion. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. Facebook is in no way responsible for any aspect of this promotion.
2. To enter this promotion, all you need to do is upload (to http://www.facebook.com/pages/GoSkyride/121668801196) your name, and in 120 words or less, the name and description of your perfect hill in the UK which you would like to nominate. The promoter does not accept responsibility for network, computer or software failures of any kind, which may restrict or delay the sending or receipt of your mail. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. The Entrant entering the photograph must own the copyright in the photograph or must have had the copyright in the photograph assigned to them. No professional photographs should be submitted unless taken by the person submitting the entry.
3. This promotion opens on 19th May 2011 and all entries must be received by 23:59 on 23rd July 2011.
4. One entry per household. Entries sent in through agents or third parties will be disqualified. Late, incomplete or otherwise ineligible entries will be disqualified. Promotion of Entries through third party websites [other than the host website is prohibited.
5. The 10 best entries as judged by a panel organised by the Promoter including at least one independent expert, from all eligible entries received, will be selected on or around 27th July, 2011. The winners will be notified by email by 29th July, 2011.
6. The 10 winnerswill receive one 1 bicycle valued at £200. The overall winning entry will receive a bike for the rest of their immediate family valued at £200 - up to a maximum of four 4 bicycles in total. The prize will include delivery to the winners’ home address. The prize will not include any bicycle accessories or insurance correct at time of print 19th May 2011.
7. There is no cash alternative to the prize and unless agreed otherwise in writing the prize is non-refundable and non transferable.
8. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for a prize of equivalent or greater monetary value if this is necessary for reasons beyond its control.
9. Except in the case of death or personal injury arising from its negligence or in respect of fraud and so far as is permitted by law, the Promoter and its associated companies and agents exclude responsibility and all liabilities arising from any postponement, cancellation, delay or changes to the prize details beyond the Promoter’s control and for any act or default of any third party supplier.
10. The terms and conditions of any other third party supplier will also apply to the prize where applicable. If there is a conflict between third party terms and conditions and these terms and conditions, these shall take precedence.
11. The Promoter will not be liable for any prize(s) that do not reach the winners for reasons beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control.
12. If the winners cannot be contacted within a reasonable time period or are not able or available to accept the prize for any reason which is beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control, then the Promoter reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant.
13. The Promoter’s decision is final and binding in all respects on all entrants. No correspondence will be entered into. Entries that do not comply in full with these entry terms and conditions will be disqualified.
14. Details of the prize winners’ first name and county will be available for one month after the close of this promotion by writing to the Promoter at the address below and stating the name and date of the promotion.
15. The name, county and photograph of the winners may be used by the Promoter and its associated companies for post-event publicity purposes. The winners agree to allow the Promoter to use their name and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional remuneration.
16. In addition to the use specified above, the Promoter will use each winner’s, and each entrant’s, personal details for the purpose of administering this promotion.
17. The Promoter may refuse or disqualify any entry (including winning entries) if the entrant concerned or anyone authorised by the entrant to deal with their entry, acts in a way towards the Promoter, other entrants or Sky staff which the Promoter reasonably considers to be inappropriate, unlawful or offensive. If a winning entry is disqualified the Promoter reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant.
18. Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions and agreed to be bound by them when entering this Promotion.
19. This Promotion, and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with this Promotion.
British Sky Broadcasting Limited, Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.