Surprising facts about your ride to work
Published 25 July 2013
There’s never been a better time to start commuting to work by bike. It saves you money, helps you stay healthy, can get you there quicker and is fun! If you’re thinking about trying it for the first time, here are a few facts about the UK that might surprise you...
Think there’s no point?
- On your bike you can be twice as fast as a car in traffic
- A middle-aged cyclist is typically as fit as someone ten years younger
- 10 bikes can be parked in the space of one car
- Cyclists contribute £230 each to the UK economy.
Think it’s too far to ride?
- 75% of the UK has a journey to work which takes less than 30 minutes
- The average commute is just 4 miles
- Typical travel time for a cycle commute is 22 minutes.
Think you’ll get too wet?
- The UK’s cycle commuters actually have a 97% chance of staying dry!
British Cycling offers brilliant benefits for cycle commuters, including 10% off everything at Halfords, and great discounts on cycle rescue and bike insurance. Find out more.